Tuesday, November 29

Now and Later

I'm a planner, down to the year, the month, the week, and even the day.  Nearly everything is written (or typed) and in one of my many calendars.  Yes, I am a bit nuerotic.  I've always been the type to know what I want and go after it relentlessly.  Nearly all aspects of my life have extensive reasoning behind it, except one: my wardrobe.  It seems strange, right?  I thought so too.  After literal months of thinking about how to plan my purchases in a smarter way, I came up with the concept of Now and Later.

Here are the rules:

1. Make a running list of items that I need to add to my wardrobe.
2. Separate and categorize into items I need immediately (now) and those I can wait for (later).
3. Save appropriately and purchase.

Ralph Lauren Straight-Leg Pants
For instance, right now I really need some black trousers for work since my others are getting quite worn down.  I know I would wear them multiple times per week, thus it makes it smart purchase, especially for cost-per-wear.

Burberry Double-Breasted Trench
While a trench coat is something I will also wear frequently, it is more of an investment piece.  For a quality trench to last a while, I would prefer to spend a little bit more, hence while it will lie in the later category.

The reason for all of this is that I want to be smarter about where I put my money.  I'm tired to buying something for it to simply be ruined by the end of the season.  I have also seen that I am more of a uniform dresser.  If I like something, I wear it endlessly and I won't even stop to consider anything else.  Here's to hoping that my planning works!

Do any of you have a type of wardrobe plan or do you buy randomly?

3 comments:

  1. I've always been a heavy believer in basics first. I don't even consider a luxury purchase if I have a hole in my basics. Now, I've recently shifted my plans a bit. If I find an amazing luxury piece that I love at a great price, I'll go ahead and purchase it. Then I'll plan out several different ways to style it. If I'm missing a piece to make that happen, I'll sort that out. Waa laa. An affordable luxury item becomes a staple and I can wear it at least a minimum of 3 different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally a planner too. This is a really smart idea, girl!

    www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, you're being SMART! This is great and we can all learn a thing or two from it. Plus it will help our wallets. :)I know I think twice before buying things.
    http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love! It's makes my day!