Wednesday, November 2

Faux No

I'll just put it out there now: I hate fake bags.  I loathe fake bags so much that I've even lost friends over the subject.  It's a long story, but let's just say that it happened.  I despise the idea of fake and pretend.  I always stood strong on the fact that there were reasonably priced and good-looking alternatives out there.  I never understood why someone would want to risk looking like a poser when they could find another bag that would work even better for their wardrobe and their wallet.  Why not invest $200-300 on a nice Rebecca Minkoff instead of a fake logo bag that will probably fall apart within a month?  All of this was before I realized the bigger implications of fake bags.

Fake bag pile
Do you know what's happening?

There is more child labor, human trafficking, and terrorism in this world due to knock-offs.  Did you know that 7% of the $600 billion in retail is pirated (Harper's Bazaar)?  That's $42 million!  That's a whole lot of money that can supply funds for guns, drugs, or other illegal products and practices.  I don't know about you, but this really frustrates me.  I don't want to think of a small child working endlessly in poor conditions to satisfy a selfish need for vanity.

Child labor
Do you know what else this means?  There seems to be a giant demand for these items.  These items are then produced overseas.  That means $42 million that could potentially be produced in the United States.  It's estimated that 750,000 jobs are sacrificed because of this practice (Harper's Bazaar).  Based on the current economic state, those are jobs we desperately need.

Although it's an older article, I highly recommend reading The Fight against Fakes.  It's well researched and gives the basic facts. 

What are your thoughts on fakes?

4 comments:

  1. I can't say I've seen anything other than poor quality fakes and they look just like they sound. Poor in quality pieces of poop. I don't know what to say about the child labor. It's kind of horrific isn't it. Are the children there because they're being forced to be there or are they there because without the job, they don't eat. I have no idea. That's truly an article worth reading. It might have more info on some of these questions. Overall, I would say that while I can adore the aesthetic delights designer items can provide, I can't get on board with owning tons of the real deal and particularly not the fake stuff. I think it fuels an unnecessarily ugly sense of consumerism and "keeping up with the Jones's" that we'd all be better off without. Can someone help me get down off this soap box now? Why do people build these things so high for short people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100 percent. The sad thing is that women who buy these fakes value these status symbols without considering where they came from. It's funny, though, because anyone who knows their bags can tell they are fake. So these women are showing their social status as fakes and poseurs. I think the real issue is the value that society places on women to feel that they need to be defined by the type of bag they carry. Personally, I won't buy or use logo bags for this same reason. Besides, a leather (not covered in a logo) Hermes or even a Celine looks sooooo much better :)
    xoxo
    Lia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont agree with the fake trade at all - but then i dont agree with the trade in super cheap clothes that spawn exactly the same working conditions. You can always spot a fake and that really is not a good look - i actually agree with you there are so many interesting unusual bags out there if the real thing is not within your budget and even if it is go for something you love not what everyone else is carrying xx

    http://fashionandfrank.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The same things have been inspiring me lately -- beautiful fashion editorials photos . . . and i love fashion, luxury brands.
    Hotesses Paris

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love! It's makes my day!