Thursday, November 3

Fashion 101: D

Hands up!  Does anyone know what today's word is?  I didn't!  I knew what the fabric looked like, but I didn't know the name or intricate history.

Damask

A reversible, self-patterned fabric produced from silk, wool, linen,  cotton, or man-made fibers.  Different weave structures in the warp and weft (to be discussed later) create patterns by reflecting light.  First produced in China, its production spread westwards through India and Persia, but was named after the Syrian city of Damascus in the 12th century due to the beauty of the designs produced there.

Example of usage:

Oscar de la Renta, FW 2011
Oscar de la Renta uses a rich chocolate and metallic damask suiting as a strong compliment to the luxurious fur vest in his fall line.


Credit: The Visual Dictionary of Fashion Design, Ambrose & Harris

3 comments:

  1. I DID know what this word meant, but only because I heard it the other day and didn't know what it meant so I looked it up. Haha.

    www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this series! I'm learning so much:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew that word only because of some interior decorating I've tried to do in the past. Nothing like walking into a sewing shop and trying to ask for a particular material if you don't know the type it is you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love! It's makes my day!