Thursday, November 24

Dear Diary

There are a million things I'm thankful for this year: health, boyfriend, employment, etc.  Not to overshadow or demean my gratitude, but there is one thing I must share.  The one thing I'm most thankful for this year is the budding relationship with my mother.


Growing up, we always had a rocky relationship.  We joked that we couldn't agree on anything: politics, religion, food, clothing, music, etc.  It was especially difficult during my teen years, as most mother and daughter relationships experience.  She was always my mother, the disciplinarian.  This year she became my friend.  She was the first one I called when I thought my proposal was happening.  She supported me through my bouts of depression.  She calmed my nerves and listened to me complain about work.  She even sent me her famous homemade cookies halfway across the country.

This year I've been able to experience what I've always envied amongst other women.  My mom is my hero.  While we still have our occasional disagreement, I know now why she did the things she did growing up.  I realize now the sacrifices she made for my brother and me.  Although most people dread the moment that they are compared with their mom, I think I will be happy when that day comes.  She's the strongest woman I know and I love her endlessly.

2 comments:

  1. Awww Lindsay! Yay!! I'm really happy for the two of you. :D Happy Thanksgiving you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so much like your mamma! I'm so glad you two are growing as friends. My mom passed away when I was 15, and while we always got along, I'm sad that I never had the chance to really develop a friendship with her as I grew up.

    Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving, dear!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love! It's makes my day!