Tuesday, October 25

Style Icon: Grandma


I love my grandma.  She's one of my most favorite people ever.  We are very close, as most of my friends know.  When I was young, she helped raise me.  I would look forward to every Thursday when she picked us up from school and every Saturday when we would run around her backyard, swing, and eat too many sugary treats.  Now she lives in Texas and we stay in touch through emails and our weekly Saturday phone calls.

She is so caring, positive, and funny.  We've always just kind of clicked in our beliefs (although maybe not about politics).  Mostly though, we both share an undying love for fashion and jewelry.  We both agree that fur accessories are essentials, the need for shoes is never-ending, and that jewelry should make a statement.  We even ended up with the same set of bangles halfway across the country one time!  I wanted to share with you the best lessons she's taught me, even if she hasn't directly said them.

1. Be different.  My grandma never scares of something funky.  She embraces it!  Once she changed her hair to this really bright orange color and the family kind of made a joke of it, but she stayed strong.  She loved that hair and I quickly learned that just because something isn't popular, doesn't mean you should shy away from it.

2. Be yourself.  Going along with the last lesson, you should always be yourself.  Don't try to bend over backwards to be someone you're not.  I was known to be quite the drama queen when I was younger.  I would get so mad at the clothes my mom would give me to wear, even at 5 years old.  My grandma understood and let me play in her three separate closets and jewelry cabinet all day long.

3. Keep your passion.  On those Saturdays when I would go to my grandma's house, I would spend hours looking through her catalogs.  From JCPenney's to Spiegel and Victoria's Secret to Newport News, I loved them all.  I would cut out my favorite looks and make collages.  She knew it was what I loved and as long as I cleaned up my mess, she let me keep doing it.

Thank you, Grandma, for being there through it all and teaching me some of life's most important lessons, fashion-related or not.  I love you!

3 comments:

  1. The whole post brought a smile to my face. My grandmother was the world to me growing up. Some great life lessons to have gotten from her! :D xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post so much. How wonderful to have a kindred fashion soul and it sounds like the most important things she gave you have nothing to do with fashion. Just love this post!

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a special post. How wonderful to have such a great relationship with your grandma. Sounds like she nudged you along to where you are today!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love! It's makes my day!