Sunday, November 6

Fashion 101: G

I just learned the technical definition for this word during my Product Development class at FIT this semester! Yay for education!  Here's the definition so the rest of you can learn it, if you don't know it already. (Speaking of the other grading, Professor, if you are reading this, I think I deserve an A+, if simply for mentioning this term on the blog.)

Grading

Definition :Scaling a garment or shoe pattern to a different size by increasing or decreasing important points of it.  A size 10 dress pattern can be graded to produce patterns for sizes 12, 14, 16 and so on.

Fashion Croquis
Today, many companies use a digital, mechanized system for grading a pattern.  It uses an automatic formula that most fashion retailers and designers base sizing.  Generally if clothing has a poor fit-to-size ratio, it is probably based on the original measurement of the fit module, as opposed to the grading system.


Credit: The Visual Dictionary of Fashion Design, Ambrose & Harris

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought of this term in this application. I would've assumed it was something like "scaling" but that's my computer background talking. Fascinating. And yes, Professor - give the gal an A+!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So takes me back to my college days and yes i think an A is in order xx

    http://fashionandfrank.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am a new fashion blogger from indonesia living in singapore :) i really like your blog. i will really appreciate & it will be an honor to have u as my blog member.

    and of course i will folback!:D also, u can mention me anytime on twitter @tiodang if you want me to check out your latest post & leave a comment ^^ ,please list me on twitter, so i will know u're my follower!! ;)

    i've just recommend your post to google!u can check it! that's what u got if you keep in touch with my blog too!! hope u will do the same ^^
    u can contact me at : cheeringwinda@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you'll be getting all As, smartypants!

    www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love! It's makes my day!